Sunday, January 31, 2010

Different day, same old story

I missed writing in my blog but recently I have taken to utilizing the more personable journal by my bedside. It holds my thoughts bound tight within its pages but today, today I will let my blog be privy to these thoughts. Have you ever been caught in a moment in your life that makes you go "Hmm, boy does this look familiar!" No. I am not talking of deja vu but rather repeated patterns that emerge throughout the course of your life.

These moments are precious and should be regarded with reverence. Why, you may ask? Its simple. It is the ability of your consciousness to identify the pattern and bring it to your attention that makes this moment precious. Many of us go through life not examining it but rather going through the motions like farm animals in a barnyard. We don't strive to use the highly developed brain we have been blessed with, to think and analyze our daily occurrences. Therefore when a moment comes that strikes you as familiar, STOP!

This is where men are separated from boys or to be a feminist women are separated from girls. I have found myself in said situation and I didn't stop. I didn't analyze. I didn't blink. I waltzed passed that reverent moment without so much as a nod of acknowledgment. What I should have done was recognize the moment and the repeated pattern. Then I should have gone digging in my memory banks and examined what I did in past when I was presented with the same pattern. If I did examine the past, then I would have found that I have repeatedly done the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

Einstein once said that the definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. These precious moments of reverence are opportunities. Opportunities of correcting a repeated mistake. Opportunities of ending a cycle and unfurling your path to new possibilities. Dare we dream? If we did we would grab these opportunities with both hands and change our fates. For once we would masters of our own destinies, but alas a minuscule amount of us see these precious moments for what they really are. Sadly I am not among the minuscule either.

No comments: