Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gospel Music?

I was watching this video on youtube the other day and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what denomination these guys were. Their message was pretty generic, hell I could even sing the song without feeling like I was in church. I think what probably throws me off the most is that they are wearing toubs/kanzus with gunias (potato sacks) over them. Thats really strange. I know I have seen this denomination before in Kenya and I know they have an official name, its just I can't remember!

So if anyone knows drop me a line please :-) Much obliged.

5 comments:

NATIVE said...

na dhani ni wakorino

SleepDepraved said...

oye Native umepotea wapi jo? Thanks babes the word was wakorino, I couldn't figure it out. I was about to call my friends in the East to ask. Hope you ok missy :)

Unknown said...

while reading your post i thought if they are jaluos then 'the israelites' and if kikuyus then 'wakorino'. turning the video on their facial features immediately said kikuyu, and obviously the language is aterere lol

why in the world did you bring this up?

SleepDepraved said...

Xirsi I have been on a mission this past couple weeks sniffing out music in Africa on the whole. I am amazed at the videos and lyrics I am finding. Some videos even look like they were produced and directed in the US but nope they were all done in Africa. The messages have an authentic ring to it which has been lacking in the music currently found in the market.

This particular video just struck a cord in me. I don't know if its the imagery/harmony/lyrics/music. Whatever the case I was more puzzled with the denomination and thanks to Ms Native and now you, I got it.

Ps:- there was a time I was conversant in aterere lol now I can't even remember how to ask for a person's name :(

NATIVE said...

SleepD siste......maisha inanipeleka mbio that's why nimepotea. Otherwise niko poa, just gettin on wiv things

What bout u? Mambos? Hope all is well inshaAllah :)

By the way I kinda wish I was there to see Maya.....she is one of my fav writers :)

Ps: I hear about the music....been goin thru them too and i am kinda suprised with what is out there :)