Friday, February 03, 2006

My neglected corner of sports

Seriously I am just glad its Friday but I guess owning to tradition I have to confess that its extra special Friday. Its the friday before the Superbowl and I got to say I ain't even tuned in to what the TV is saying because I am just not interested this time. Superbowl 40 is between Pitts. Steelers and Seattle Seahawks. These two teams were a suprise for many to be in contension for the championship and for me more than anything. Unlike many I didn't think the Colts were going to make it but I thought for sure the broncos and panthers. Watching the NFC and AFC I was utterly disgusted by display of Plummer and Delhomme. They were not in their usual form, misreading coverage and the interceptions were a constant aspect in their game that night. Enough of my griping they didn't make it to the Superbowl so what? So I am stuck watching two teams that I think are undeserving of the honor. For Steelers who have won four Superbowl titles and making their fifth appearance to the championship, this is a road travelled before but for the Seahawks its new terrain.

Steelers astounded me. They beat Carson Palmer,Rudi Johnson, Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Jake Plummer, Marvin Harrison et al to make it to the SuperBowl. That is impressive in it of itself. Lets start at the QB Ben Roethlisberger, he boosts a 124.8 passer rating and 17 TDs. He will be one of the youngest QB to win the Superbowl if Steelers win. Next person of note in the steelers line up has got to be no one but Joey Porter. He seems to have an aptitude for left tackles and he not shy about it. His speed is another dimension to his game and gives it the edge he needs to create pressure on QB's. Last but not least we have T Polamalu. This exotic long haired safety is all over the field. Though he is on the injury list many believe he will still be playing come Sunday. The game wouldn't be the same without him. All in all the notables mentioned plus the Steelers 3-4 defense formation is what the Steelers game is about.

Seahawks on the other hand are the underdogs coming into this Superbowl. Most people contend that they didn't have much of a lineup to contend with during regular season. At the head of their game we have QB Matt Hasselbeck. What to note is that against a 3-4 defence formations Matt's passer rate dropped to 58.0. The other person to look for is Shaun Alexander, seahawk's running back. I don't know what to say about this team because I tended to be ignorant of them when they played. Advice though would be that they shouldn't give time for the Steelers defence to rotate and reform. Keep the game fast.


In other news, forecasts for Pistons to actually get to the famed 70 game win during regular season are being thrown around. I love the pistons and I will have great faith in them always and I really do think they will be able to do it. But only if they don't let up on their game once they get home court advantage. Hell I might just drive to Auburn Hills to watch them if they get close to their goal. NBA All Star teams has being announced for the East:Allen Iverson, Jermaine O'Neal, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade and the Big Man (Shaq). The West boosts Kobe Bryant, Yao Ming, Tracy Mcgrady, Steve Nash and Tim Duncan. Definately a great group of talented individuals, no chance of Kobe getting that 81 points with this many talented people around him. (I keed I keed). Hope Jermaine actually gets well quick with the pacers losing fire with artest gone and now him. Will try to keep up with sports world though sometimes I get caught up with other things. Happy SuperBowl Weekend to all!!

No comments: