Tuesday, June 05, 2007

US's position when it comes to science

The last couple days I have come to a realization that US is lagging behind when it comes to science. I don't necessarily think its due to lack of brain power in the science field, but rather its due to the constraints that the government puts on science. Most of the greatest science minds are moving to the European continent because of its laxity in controlling the science field. Most notably, the stem cell research field. I was watching news today and saw that by implanting a cell in the retina, a man in Britain was able to regain his eyesight (blindness caused by old age). The other news bit that got me thinking about science in the US, was one about a deal between NHS and a drug company. The makers of Velcade (a cancer drug used to treat myeloma) will refund NHS money if their drug does not work on the patient. The drug costs about 18,000 pounds per patient. I think this is a lesson worth learning. In the US 65% of the population do not have health care and more than 65% cannot afford the drugs mainly because drug companies manipulate the market prices to maximize profit.

While I am on the drug companies case, Pfizer is getting sued by the Nigerian government for conducting test on children. The study used a drug called Trovan to treat meningitis in children. Nigerian government reports that come children died due to participation in the study. Pfizer of course denies the accusation. Africa is a dumping ground for expired drugs for these companies and now they have figured out another way to exploit Africans. By giving free drugs they get unassuming candidates for their drug studies. In the developed countries it is hard to test drugs on patients without having the FDA all over the paperwork, but who policies the continent of Africa? Our leaders don't have our interest at heart as long as their pockets are lined. I am sure as soon as some money is spread around this whole suit will dissipate into the thin air.

5 comments:

Admin said...

SleepDeprived, I have noticed a great change in your beautiful blog today; you posted two articles at the same time (I might be wrong). Another thing worth mentioning is the fact that you lead our Somali Blogging Community with your journalistic English in which you write more clearly and neatly than anyone else. I believe anyone who reads your breathtaking words will declare himself/herself satisfied with the wit and wisdom you impart on every subject. I wish you success for your future blogging...

SleepDepraved said...

Flaterry will get you everywhere Mr Nassir. I don't blog as much as I used to due to tasks I need to accomplish by the end of the summer months, one of which is to get another job and save some cash. I am glad you garnered something from a writing I did half asleep.

You seem to need a topic when you blog. Sometimes picking up a paper or having a conversation with a friend will lead to a blog spot. Keep at it, I am sure your blog will be the nicest ones around.

Admin said...

I would not call it "flattery" but I would call it "laudatory remarks from me". Thanks.

Aya said...

SD,

The Bush Administration has set back basic and medical research. I don't blame scientists for leaving, I wouldn't want my research dictated by the Christian fringe. I was on business in Missouri a couple of weeks ago and couldn't help noticing the widespread protests against a hospital for applying to fund stem cell research. Church groups took out their placards and usual dead-fetus posters. No one is telling these people that the research can advance without embryonic cells.

P.S. I read in Dreamer's site that you're preparing for the MCAT. Have you tried the ExamKrackers series? My sister loves them!

P.S.S. I second citizentito in that your blog does not allow comments from WordPress (probably b/c of the block of anon comments).

Century Lion said...

Hi there...whatz up guys?