Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Historic Moment

Will you recall where you were tonight? I will.

Holding hands with my friends as we watched the numbers coming in. First came Pennsylvania then the most crucial Ohio, after that it was a rapid cataclysmic addition of electoral votes. My phone was going off the hook when CNN projected him the President Elect. President Elect BARACK OBAMA. I can't believe it still, its a shock, a pleasant one, but a shock nonetheless.

This is the America we believe in. One that saw past the color of someone's skin and elected the best candidate solely on issues. So maybe McCain's chances were hurt when he chose Sarah Palin but still I am so proud of being an American. So, so, so extremely proud of the young generation that rode the wave of change and believed in it. They believed in it so much that turn out for this demographic was record high.

Congrats President Barack Obama. I am proud to say I stood in the cold waiting to hear you speak when you came to Minnesota, not once but twice. I am proud to be alive to watch this most historic moment and I wish you the best as you take the reins of this country into your hand.

I believe in you. WE believe in you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so agree Leyla, watching Barack Speak has got to be one of the highlights for me this year, but man oh man how uplifiting and inspirational it is to have a black president. I'm not just saying that because of his color but the fact that America has seen past his color and his name for who he is and voted him as a qualified candiate..it's taken us 400 years but we have finally gotten their =)