Saturday, August 28, 2010

Things I cherish about Ramadhan

Each Ramadhan presents a chance for any muslim to better their iman. The other day my friend, Julia, asked me what it is that makes me nostalgic for Ramadhan and I listed a bunch of things. I like the fact that the family as unit eat iftar together and pray together. I like the fact that in Kenya we sent an assortment plate of food to all our neighbours and it came back laden with their dishes. I like the fact that everyone is respectful, contemplative and mindful of their actions. In Mombasa the streets would be packed with people selling iftar that even when iftar finds you enroute to your home you can find dates and coffee a step away, but most of all its the Quran hafiz competitions that makes my heart yearn for my childhood home.

The competition, these days is more organized and is held in Makadara with contestants coming from all over the world. The prize this year is a trip to Hajj. I wish the best to all the contestants and Mashallah may Allah reward their knowledge and skill. Below is a clip of the ongoing competition which will conclude tomorrow. Enjoy.




PS:- I have been meaning to post about a Surah this Ramadhan and I already picked it and researched it but I haven't been able to sit down and write about it. Inshallah I hope to have it up for Laylatul Qadr. Remember that these last ten days Allah SWT forgives his believers. May all our sins be forgiven Inshallah. Ameen.

No comments: