Friday, September 22, 2006

Lessons of my week

I learnt a few lessons this week. My first lesson was with corporate America. I finally talked to my boss about Mr T. (the harrasser) and she defended him and said he jokes a lot and she would prefer I talk to him once more before she steps in. I wasn't scheduled with him for the next couple days so I bidded my time. I have to mention that during this time I also changed my schedule at work and told the scheduler I can only work in the afternoons and evenings. She didn't seem to have a problem with it and I was under the impression everything was Kosher. Anyway, On Tuesday she runs to me and says I need to talk to him that day or else she will talk to him whether or not I do. She is very firm about it and I am wondering what the heck got you in a tizzy? So, I say I would like to talk to him and she can sit in and listen. We have our little meeting and Mr. T keeps apologizing profusely that I felt real guilty. On Thursday, she calls me in her office to inform me that her and the other african dude (friend of Mr. T) have decided to let me go because "you were hired as a permanent full time and we can't have you switching your schedule and taking hours away from people who have worked here for years". I was a little suprised but I wasn't worried because this was a second job and lets face it it was cutting into my school schedule as it were. What bothered me was the coincidence of the complaint, the friendship of my direct supervisor and Mr T, and the obvious fact that when I was hired the lady knew I was in school and come fall semester I would be changing my schedule. Another factor is the majority of the workers there are students and most of them worked one day every week and in the evening. What can I say? I understood the fact that maybe I shouldn't have opened my mouth about his harrassment. Knowing this made it easy for me to walk out that door with my head held high because I figured if thats the environment they work under I never want to be there. So, I get one week off and I am back to working fulltime at my old job, with people I have come to regard as family and love as such. Mr T can have his playing field!


The other lesson, I learnt was that I am addicted to music. My friends used to joke about it alot. The fact I have +3000 songs on my laptop, +300 CDS and my ipod. I had mp3s but I gave them out to my sister and brother. I can't get into my car without music, I can't work without music, I can't study without music, I can't cook without music..........I hope you get the point. I was asked to roughly estimate how many hours of music I listen to a day and I casually replied 6-7 hrs. When I saw the look of shock on the people's faces I understood the fact that maybe that is not a good thing. So, I am left to wonder if I can shed this addiction like I did my others i.e internet? Especially in the light of Ramadhan. I have always brushed off the fact I could listen to music during ramadhan as long as I fulfilled my fast and didn't let music affect my mood of introspection. Its not true. Music affects me. My mood reflects my music. Sadness brings on the sappy songs, longing brings on Ginuwine, Tyrese et al.........................yada yada yada. So if anyone can give me clarification on what the Quran says about music in regards to ramadhan and regular islamic life I would so appreciate it. **listening to music as she is typing**


My last lesson was last night. It started around 3 am. I woke up to the sound of a blaring horn. At first I thought it was my ears (I have being having inner ear problems) but when I shook my sister awake and asked her if she could hear it and she confirmed it, I was irritated. No one moved in the whole complex. I looked outside and didn't see anything fishy. My sister thought it was the AC so I turned it off. Nope. I couldn't believe how anyone can sleep through that racket. I mean it was loud as hell. I live in a predominately white neighbourhood and y'all know how white people be all sensitive about their sleep during weekdays. I was expecting someone to take action. Nada, no movement could be seen or heard. Finally, I grabbed the phone cussing and called 911. " I can't sleep cause someone's car is going off out there, can you send an officer to check it out cause I ain't finna walk my ass out there in the cold in the dark" I waited 10 mins then two cruisers pulled up. They identified the car as soon as they pulled up. Walked around the car making sure ain't no one dead in there leaning on the horn (I suppose) then walked toward the complex entrance. I walked down and let them in grumbling about the fact that some of us have to be up by 6 am and like our sleep to be undisturbed. They must have thought I was crazy. I was in a foul mood and didn't invite them into my home. I let them go knock on that person's door and after they got dressed they turned the racket off. Bloody hell. I couldn't believe anyone slept through that irritating sound. My stereotypes of whites was wrong. They weren't nosy, sensitive people.


Hopefully with Ramadhan a couple days away it should prove to be a better week. I got invited to a proffesor's BBQ on Sunday, even though I will be fasting. I am looking forward to meeting the IJs (International Journalists) and talking with the faculty, though I dunno how I will handle seeing burgers being cooked on the first day of Ramadhan. Ramadhan Kareem to y'all.

14 comments:

TheAdvocates said...

SD, on the first lesson, I think you were dealt with wrong-in that your raising on an harrassment issue clearly made them to 'let you go'. I am not sure, but couldn't you ask other students working their who switch shifts how they were dealt with?

On the second lesson, I think as you mentioned, Music is addictive. When I was younger I use to go to bed with head-phones whiles music blasts off from the walkman (those days weren't known for iPods or fancy gudgets). All I did was listen to Music and now when I hear the sort of Music youngster listen to, I find it to be mere noise. Even at my age now, I listen to music- old qaraami songs and sometimes Arabic (um-kaltuum preferably). That said though, during the Ramadan month it is highly recommended that listening to music is avoided. The Sheikhs feel strongly about it, so I suggest you try to avoid it -or if you can't, limit it.

On the third lesson; No Comment :D

Firefly said...

Ramadan Kariim, SD.

Your dismissal is clearly dodgy, maybe you should consider taking it further? They sound like right bastards.

SleepDepraved said...

If I cared enough about it I would have pursued it. My mom keeps asking me to do it but I can't be bothered. FF i agree they r right bastards and they can keep being that as long as they don't infringe on my life. The other students at the job seem to not have encountered any problem with switching schedules. I even had one who walked in one hour late cause their class wasn't done in time for her to be at work. I doubt the scheduling was a huge factor.

Twoadv. I know what the sheikhs recommend but erm I would like an ayah/hadith. For some reason, I always like to have proof of my convictions before I embark on dismantling my "self".

Yasmin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

SD, The harrasment story went far..You were far much better
minus this Bloody nigga..Don't worry..atleast umelenga

One advice though, Re-invent yourself and preach Islam to your family and Freinds..We all love them music..mangoma but what do we do..personally can't drive for some kilomtres without listening to my old school albums..keith sweet/brandy/LLcoolJ..Some rap, Luniz...snoop..and mo

Ramadhaan Kareem..Kulu Caam wa antum Bikheir..

Inspired said...

asalamu aliakum

sis I'm in a hurry but this is one of the links I had saved in regards to music

http://muttaqun.com/music.html

hope it's helpful....more comments later inshaAllah.

NGONGE said...

Salaam,
On the first point, I'm not really sure how you could walk out with your head held up high (as you claim) when you've been SACKED! You should have gone after them and made sure you got your job back before walking out yourself (on our own terms). You let me down, dear, let me down I tell you. Is that what happens when I abandon you for two months? Damn you. Grrrrr.

On the second point, there is no need for an aayah here. The kinds of singers you mentioned all talk about love (and not even pure love) and sex! How could you fast and at the same time listen to some guy singing about wanting to ride, ride, ride? Fix up, dear.

On the third point, I really can't believe that you phoned 911 to complain about a simple problem like a noisy car! Have a word with yourself, woman. HAVE A WORD I SAY.

Other than all of that, you know I love you and miss you and stuff but your post annoyed me.

xxx

NGONGE

SleepDepraved said...

^^^lmao you had me slapping my thighs this late at night. You ask how I can call the police to complain about a simple thing like a noisy car? Their motto is to protect and Serve and plus they so quick to come and tell colored folks to turn down their music whenever they get called so this time I want some peace and quiet dammit!

Well you left me alone for two months to figure out life and all hell broke loose. Yea I was sacked and i should be pissy about it but I ain't. Shows you how much I cared for the joint don't it? I only worked there for 5 months. Apart from yusri the egyptian dude and an ethiopian lady I didn't particulary care for the others. I was only in it for money and Alhamdullilah I am not lacking in it for now. AS for missing you. I miss you terrible and wish you'd come back to make them cloudy days disappear :D

PS: Ginuwine doesn't sing about riding anymore. His last album was more mature and he was asking for marriage noh ;)

Muslimah thank luv I will look up the link. I did a lil thing thou. I deleted all my songs on my ipod and instead put Quran and a series of lectures. So far its working and in turn I am learning about religion.

F13, Thanks for the offer but I have to say no since I don't sleep anywhere but my bed.

Inspired said...

asalamu aliakum

mashaAllah keep it up sis.

Verily, in the rememberance of Allah do hearts find rest." (Quran Ar-Ra'd 13:28).

on my blog there's a link to quran tranlation ( audio) that I love. it's very helpful in understanding the quran.

I'm sending my du'aas your way.

NonChalante said...

Salaam;

Think I would have walked out of that office with a bang. But so long as you're not too worried about being sacked...then I guess its all gravy.

I think I share your same music addiction, in fact, you were the only one that put up a decent challenge when playing "name that tune". I've been trying to alter my ways this Ramadhan by filling up my Ipod and laptop with Qur'an and lectures.

On yout third lesson...KUDOS. I did the same recently, except I called the cops to complain about a barking dog :d

NGONGE said...

Only in the good old US of A do people call the police to complain about cars and dogs. You should all be done for wasting police time, people.

I still have to argue with you on the job point. You still had to stand up to that guy, regardless of liking the job or not. If there is still time, I suggest you go after him (them). Consider it a good deed. You’re good and good people try to fix problems so that others don’t trip on them. That guy was a problem. Is still, probably, a problem. He got away with it and he’ll probably get away with it again (having got more from the next innocent girl than he managed to get from you). Be a hero, woman. Sue them. You might not win, but at least you’ll highlight what a rubbish place of employment that place was and might, just might, be the reason they sort themselves out. You’ve been called out, listen to mother and don’t chicken out.

I have no idea what Genuine sings. My musical tastes are very random and, most times, I don’t even know the name of the singer I’m listening to. However, if you ever fancy talking about nursery rhymes I’m your man. :)

SleepDepraved said...

^^^2 comments in a week? I guess you really do feel strongly about it. Ngonge I am a yellow bellied coward (my next post) and don't stand up for most things unless I get pushed to the edge n then for some reason my horns really grow. I figure somewhere down the road he will get his. In the short life I lived I noticed that lots of people who do me wrong end up getting a dose of their medicine within my lifetime, so ima sit back n kick up my heels.

Nonch. Gosh......them days when we played name the tune. Not to mention me flowing against prodigy n his crew and beating them **proudest moment** Ah! that sweet innocence. If you making them lil side trips to MN we need to get together, that is if you can tear yourself away from ur MISTER.

Anonymous said...

Salaamu aleykum sis...

A bit late but hey better late than never, here is a link to Islam&Muic check it out insha'allah.

http://qa.muftisays.com/index.php?viewpage=viewQA&question=859

Let me know what you think bi ithni laah

Anonymous said...

Bismilaah

Question: I have a doubt about playing of musical instruments. Is this an act of Satan?

Faiz-ullah-Khan, Jammu and Kashmir.



A. Prohibition of music is recorded in many authentic Ahadith.



Narrated Abu Malik Al-Ashari:

"The Messenger (pbuh) of Allah (SWT) said, "Some people of my Ummah will drink wine, calling it by other than its real name, merriment will be made for them through the playing of musical instruments and the singing of lady singers. Allah will cleave the earth under them and turn others into monkeys and swines.

[Ibn Ma'jah Vol.5 Hadith No.4020]



Narrated Abu Amir or Abu Malik Al Ashari that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol.7 Hadith No.5590]



However, there are some Ahadith which indicate that it is permissible to beat the ‘daff’ i.e. the tambourine (which is open on one side and covered on the other).



Narrated Urwa on the authority of Aisha

“On the days of Mina, (11th, 12th, and 13th of Dhul-Hijjah) Abu Bakr came to her while two young girls were beating the tambourine (daff) and the Prophet was lying covered with his clothes. Abu Bakr scolded them. The Prophet uncovered his face and said to Abu Bakr, "Leave them, for these days are the days of 'Id and the days of Mina."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol.2 Hadith No.987]



Narrated Ar Rabi (the daughter of Muawwidh bin Afra):

“After the consummation of my marriage, the Prophet came and sat on my bed as far from me as you are sitting now, and our little girls started beating the tambourines (daff) and reciting elegiac verses mourning my father, who had been killed in the battle of Badr. One of them said, ‘Among us is a Prophet who knows what will happen tomorrow.’ On that the Prophet said, ‘Leave this (saying) and keep on saying the verses which you had been saying before.’ [Sahih Al-Bukhari Vol.7 Hadith No.5147]



Therefore from the above evidence it is concluded that the use of musical instruments in general is forbidden in Islam, with the exception of the 'Daff'.



Music usually intoxicates a person and takes one away from the path of Allah (swt). Music engages a person’s mind and takes him/her away from the remembrance of his/her Creator and from realizing and focusing his/her attention on the purpose of his/her creation. In musical songs, most of the times the listeners even appreciate illogical, incorrect and blasphemous matter and content. A person will realize this when he starts pondering over the meaning of many Hindi and English songs, lyrics and ghazals. Here we find that it is because of music that the person’s mind is intoxicated and the person deviates from the straight path. And Allah Knows the Best.

Dr Zakir Naik