Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Taalam Acey in Town

For those who live in Minneapolis I would recommend to catch this cat's show this Friday. The unfortunate part of the whole thing is his show is at a bar (Spirell Bar). Show starts @ 7 pm, doors open at 6. I believe tickets at the door cost 15 bucks but advance cost $3 less.

Oh jeez, I didn't even introduce him, Duh! Taalam Acey, not to sound like his groupie,is the most famous spoken word artist out there. He has toured and lectured, not to mention educated on spoken word, both domestically and internationally. He does venues in select cities and usually is prominently featured on campuses. As a spoken word fan, I own a couple of his cds, my favourite being 'pieces of change'.Most of you might be shocked with the work I chose to highlight. Taalam's style is different. He uses erotica to capture attention and draw it to whats important.

PS:- Anyone go watch Chris Tucker when he was in town last weekend?


6 comments:

Inspired said...

asalamu aliakum

I love spoken word! Don't know if I'd go to a bar to see a show. I'm lucky to know a few spoken word artists who are muslim.

TheAdvocates said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TheAdvocates said...

When I use to write poetry, even I, was a big fan of Taalam Acey. This is the guy whose word's power resonate some power message. I am sure you are gonna enjoyed.

"ejaculating out of my throat is the truth" ouch..how came up with the line..I don't know. But he is still as good as always.

Ps; just listening to your link of him. Superb

SleepDepraved said...

Wsc wr wb Muslimah,
I know it kinda feels weird to be going to be a bar especially to be a hijabed sister but he is such a cool cat. I ended up not going cause my cuz cancelled last minute. What muslim spoken word artist do you know? Throw your soul sister a bone will ya.

Advocates,
lmao what caught your ear was the last sentence?? **shock shock**. j/k
I don't see spoken word as poetry because there is no rules in spoken word like they have in poetry. Thats probably why I love it. There is one poem I like though that could be bordering spoken word and poem. Its called 'this here poem is not for you'. I have being trying to find it since the day I heard it.

Inspired said...

asalamu alaikum

SD it's just a couple guys I know ( some are reverts to islam). They use it to to give dawah. It's amazing.

TheAdvocates said...

SD, Lol. I picked up that line more clearly than others. Sounded strangely contructed. I know SW isn't exactly poetry, but rest assured it has its roots in post-modern poetry, where there are no rules to composing a poem. It is a rule breaker's poety ... and I like that about SW.

p.s: share that poem with us, it would be lovely to read it or hear if it is in audio. thanks