Saturday, August 26, 2006

Whats your beef?

I listen to this talk show every morning on my commute to work. The theme on Wednesdays is always whats your beef?. People basically call in and vent. Now I got to admit that some things that people vent about are absurd but some of things are justified. This evening I got into it with someone and it made me want to call into the show and tell them what my beef was but you know what? I remembered my blog is my platform, my stage, my journal, my sounding board. So ladies and gents, here is my beef.


As a child and as a grown up, there are moments in a parent-child relationship that are strained. Moments like these are tense and usually made worse by emotional outburst that hurt both parties. Confined in the family, I usually think its healthy, but sometimes it gets overwhelming and these situations tend to nip at your heels at your school/work/friend/love etc.So what to do? You talk to your confidante,your compadre,your amiga/amigo. You cry, you vent, you curse, you yell, you promise never to cry again then you cry some more, you wish you had diff parents (at times) etc. I think y'all understand exactly where I'm headed. What does the other party listening to you do? Do they listen and nod in agreement? Do they shake their head and tut tut about your display? Or Worse join you in cursing and yelling?


Now thats my beef!!! I don't care who you are or what you are. My family are mine alone to bash. I have earned the right to bitch and moan about them in every which way I please because they are la familia,comprende? I don't appreciate it when a person, I'm in a close relationship with, does the bashing with me. HELLO! who are you to be talking about my momma like that? my papi like that? my frere like that? I am very,very,very,very,very,very,very,very.............(have I stressed that enough?) protective about my family. When everyone else is gone there are the ones who will be there no matter what. Remember the saying friends are forever but family is for life or something similar. Anyway I just think that is a line friends and anyone else in my life shouldn't cross. You should declare from now henceforth Thou shall not family bash with me.

8 comments:

Inspired said...

asalamu alaikum

I feel ya.Hey it's the cardinal rule. If anything one should be convincing their friend how lucky they are to have family, that some issues are temporary or things of that sort..

Flower.of.Chaos said...

Did you know that when you're mad, you throw in a few spanish phrases... I mean.. not french, not somali..not chinese..but spanish. Why is dat SD? Mexican beau?

Rant's of an angry somali man said...

hey i think i fell ya girl....porque tu eres el unica persona que puedes hablar asi de tu familia....waniskia dada?.....n by the way i liked ur blogz really deep especially the ayeyo hawo one may she rest in peace....n all those swahili songz...i havent forgotten them mi bado mkenya damu!!!

NATIVE said...

I feel ya!
My family is for me to bash....that's my right and no-one elses.......

SleepDepraved said...

FOC hehehe. When you catch me nxt on msn ask me for a pic. I might show him to ya ;)

Rants thanks for thought about my ayeyo. I still get pangs of loneliness sometimes especially these days in light of things happening. I am glad muziki zanga ni barabara au sio?

Native n Muslimah I'm glad y'all understand. I thought I was being overprotective. Its nice to see other lionesses in da houze.

TheAdvocates said...

"My family are mine alone to bash"

Memorable words, SD.

Lonesome Dreamer said...

I know how u feel - isn't it sort of awkward meeting ur friend who bashed ur family with you? You'll be thinking 'I wonder is he/she was just being supportive or if they really felt this way about my family all along'.

Yikes!! It also depends on which family members ur complaining about - mom, dad, uncles, aunts (totally off limits), but bros/sisters/cousins are sometimes ok. In my case anyway.

Firefly said...

Friends should listen to you bitch and moan, and then tell you to stop being so stupid because your family are lovely and you are the one with the problem. I thought that was the rule?

I only talk about my family w/one friend and she always leaves a bee in my bonnet for it qumayadu. But I suppose that's why she is the only one I can talk to about familial frustrations.