Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Ayeyo Hawo

Have you ever met a woman you knew was a gem from get go? I have. My great aunt Hawo. I call her Ayeyo Hawo though because she was that stalwart lady in my life. I met her when Somalia went into civil war. Diminutive in status, she used to sit in the "baraza" and watch the melee of people coming in and out of the house. My sister used to call them refugees. I thought they were fascinating people. They spoke dialects of Somali I had never heard and fought constantly for the phone. Ayeyo Hawo used to let me comb her hair. Her hair was thinning but it held me spellbound. She had Hindi hair and it was just the right length for me to practice my hair braiding skills.

As of 3 am this morning, I lost my Ayeyo Hawo. She has suffered on earth. She had kidney problems and wouldn't accept a kidney from any of her kids for years. A couple years ago, her son, threatened that he will take out his kidney. Ayeyo Hawo had a choice, to take it or it goes to some other person on the transplant list. Ayeyo acquiesced. She got better. For the first time in a while she ate heartily and often and we were only to happy to feed her. Her voice gained some power and her eyes sparkled a bit. A mirage for us perhaps, but it made us hopeful. She has seen her children give birth. She has seen her children's children give birth. What I will miss the most about her is the talks we had. She was the first person I had met who never made fun of my attempts at speaking Somali. She listened and asked for clarification whenever she couldn't understand what I said. My aunts and uncles used to laugh and ask her how she understands my garam garam Somali. Know what my Ayeyo did? She admonished them. She told them she understood me perfectly.

I am glad your suffering on earth is over Ayeyo. What awaits you in heaven only Allah knows but I am assured by your actions on earth. The kindness, the mercy, the intellect and most important the faith you had. You prayed your five daily prayers even when you were ill. Confined to your bed you asked for water and a pan to take ablution. Your dialysis didn't stop you from exercising your faith. You will forever be my inspiration and for that I thank you. I pray that Allah forgives you of your transgression and grants you Jannatul Firdows.

Our Lord! Make them enter the Garden of Eden which You have promised to them, and to the righteous from among their fathers, their wives and their offspring, for verily You are alone the Almighty and the truly Wise. (40:8)
Our Lord! You embrace all things within Your Grace and Knowledge, forgive those who repent and follow Your path, and ward off from them the punishment of Hell. (40:7)
Our Lord! And grant us that which you have promised to us by Your messengers and save us from shame on the Day of Judgement. Verily You never fail to fulfill Your promise. (3:194)
Our Lord! Grant us good in this world and good in the life to come and keep us safe from the torment of the Fire (2:201)

Mashallah she touched many people. I was amazed by the number of cars at the funeral procession and more amazed by the people who turned up for her remembrance. All the dua that was said today, may Allah grant them. Amin.

2 comments:

Leyla said...

Amin Abaayo

q said...

may allah grant her jannah