Thursday, May 11, 2006

O' Allah keep them safe

I never thought the war would hit so close to home. It was always distant relatives or acquitances, never my immediate family. For the past week I have being an avid listener to BBC kiswahili. Each morning after salatul fajr I click on the link and listen intently for news from Somalia. Why? Because my nephews live there. The one pictured on the right is Mohamed. He was barely two when he was sent to Mogadishu. His brother, Abdallah, had a year and a half leg up on him. I took this picture on his second birthday.

I know that I should be worrying about all children who are suffering at the moment but I can't. I worry about him and Abdallah. I never agreed with my sister's decision to ship them to her in-laws but I held my tongue. They were not my kids. At times I nursed the notion of reporting the kids missing at the US consulate but I didn't. My mom called me tonite to ask me about moving from campus and she brought up the subject. She wasn't pleased with my sister especially after confronting her about safety issues. I held my tongue as my mom awaited my usual "I will talk to her." I couldn't say it. I guess my mom understood my silence because she dropped the subject. I pray they are fine and I pray I have the courage to talk my sister into bringing them back home, where they will be safe. I pray that a bomb or missile or bullet won't come anywhere near their vicinity because dear God they are innocent. Keep them safe. Keep them under your ever watchful eye and bring them back home. Amin.

2 comments:

NATIVE said...

Siste inshaAllah I pray that Allah will keep them safe and out of harms way, ameen
And that they will return home safe and sound inshaAllah.

Usiwe na wasi wasi dada....not a penny drops without the will of Allah. So I pray that Allah wax kheir qabo hakadhigo, ameen

Xu Said said...

I'm sorry to hear that, I can't even imagine how worried you must be. I too pray that your nephews are safe. Insha-Allah, things will work out. Have faith, and Insha-Allah you will see them soon. May Allah also give you the strength to get through this.

Keep us posted.