Saturday, May 06, 2006

Have you seen me?

I always wondered why each school you went to requested your immunization records. I thought it has to do with bureaucratic BS. Today I got an e-mail from my instructor telling me I should check my university e-mail for notification from Student Affairs. Apparently a student on campus had contracted mumps and the school looked in their database for students who haven't had the MMR vaccine. The students who were found to be lacking were given only today to get their shots otherwise they were not going to be allowed to take their finals. I finally saw why the schools asked for immunization records. Its for emergencies such as this.


Musing over this I heard my cell ring. Ro, the OMA director, was calling to locate a student from our organization. He was missing the vaccine. Pascal (MIA student) was an engineering student and if he were not located within two hours he wouldn't be allowed to take his finals not to mention he might get kicked off campus. Drastic I thought. I looked in my database and saw I didn't have his number but I remembered he lived in the apartment complex next to mine. I walked over grumbling because I had an online quiz due in three hours and I hadn't touched my notes yet. He wasn't home and no one was at the apartment. I walked back to my apartment and solicited my roommate's help. We both got on the phone looking for mutual friends. I finally got his number and I left him a voicemail. I also got his roommate's phone and informed his roommate about the situation. My roommate on the other hand sent him a text message and an e-mail. Pascal called me back in half an hour thanking me for the heads up. He had received the message and was at the free clinic (set up by the school) taking his shot. I guess it was my good deed for the day.


While sitting there basking in the glow of helping another, a dark cloud rolled over my sun. The past couple weeks I have been worried about my ex-roommate. No one has seen her around campus since she moved to subsidized housing. Rumor has it that her family is looking for her too. I am worried because I used to give her a ride to and from Mpls to go see her boyfriend. When she moved out her boyfriend came down to help her and I didn't think to get her new address. I had her cell phone and she was still going to her classes, I was bound to run into her right? Wrong! She is nowhere to be found. What if she is lying in the ground somewhere dead? I am thinking of visiting her boyfriend and asking him where he took her. I hope she is fine and just to be sure I have told everyone I've met to look for her.

2 comments:

NATIVE said...

Hope you find your ex-roomie.......

inshaAllah

SleepDepraved said...

Thanks Native. I hope so too.